“On the Minute”
The U.S. Army Cadet Command established the Regimental Affiliation Program in 1985 to foster unit cohesion, camaraderie, esprit de corps, and the pride of belonging among the diverse groups of Cadets attending the Leader Development and Assessment Course from states around the nation.
Cadets attending LDAC have the unique privilege of being members of one of the Army’s finest combat units. Through the Regimental Affiliation Program, each Cadet organization is assigned to an active Army regiment. The goal of the program is to bind Cadets and cadre together in a close-knit and dynamic organizational relationship with a strong sense of teamwork so crucial to success at LDAC.
LDAC’s 1st Regiment is affiliated with the U.S. Army’s 37th Field Artillery. “On the Minute.”
Constituted July, 5 1918 in the National Army as the 37th Field Artillery and assigned to the 13th Division, the 37th Field Artillery was organized Aug. 17, 1918 at Camp Lewis, Washington. Too late to see combat in World War I, it was demobilized Feb. 11, 1919.
The regiment was reconstituted Oct. 1, 1933 in the Regular Army, again as the 37th Field Artillery, then redesignated Oct. 1, 1940 as the 37th Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 2nd Division, later redesignated as the 2nd Infantry Division and activated at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
The regiment entered World War II as part of the Normandy invasion force, fighting its way across Europe through northern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and central Europe.
In the Korean War, the 37th Field Artillery fought in numerous campaigns, including the UN Defensive, UN Offensive, CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korean Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, and Korean Summer 1953.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated Feb. 20, 1956 as the 37th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. It was relieved June 20, 1957 from assignment to the 2nd Infantry Division and concurrently redesignated as the 37th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, then redesignated Sept. 1, 1971 as the 37th Field Artillery.
The unit was withdrawn February 16, 1987 from the combat arms regimental system and reorganized under the United States Army regimental system.
Elements of the 37th serve in the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, the Army’s first Stryker brigade.